Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cat got your tounge?

There are so many irritating things that happen on a daily working basis that I can blog about. I could probably write an entire novel about what happens as a waitress that would blow your mind. The audacity of people sometimes shocks me, and really it isn't always the customer. One day I'll blog about the other happenings outside of customer problems but today something that is grating my nerves has to do with just that. The customer. Let's face it, most of the issues I do have with my job originate with a family that just wants to go out and have a nice dinner together. I'm not the kind of waitress that will stop by your table every five seconds and bug you, and I'm also not the kind of waitress that goes MIA. I do fancy myself quite good at my meaningless job, giving the ever-popular silent refill, and overall making my presence known as little as possible allowing you to enjoy your evening out. What I hate the most, though is when I need to talk to you and you completely ignore me.
It all starts with an innocent greeting at the table. I tell you my name, I ask how you are and generally a response is necessary to keep the conversation going.
More times than not, however, I am received with the sound of crickets chirping in the distance.

"Hi there, how are you?"
-crickets.-
"Well, I'm fine thanks!"
"Give me a coke."
"Okay. Well, my name is Crystal..."
"She'll have a diet."
"Awesome. Be right back."

I understand that you and I don't really know each other. I get that outside of this restaurant we'll never be friends and unless you come in again and happen to sit in my section, we'll never talk again. What happened to a little bit of respect, though? When I ask you how you are, it is common courtesy to respond with "good," or "well" and then ask me how I am. Not that I am going to break down and tell you exactly what is going on in my life, or that I expect the same thing from you but if you'd like for me to be courteous to you, it would help if you treated me with the same respect. I understand that you don't care how I am, much like I don't really care how you are. It just only makes sense and is out of sheer respect that I ask you and expect a response back.

I'm sure if someone you knew and cared about asked you the same question you wouldn't completely ignore them and move on to another topic. I always wonder what goes on in people's heads when they obviously hear me asking them that question and just choose to ignore it? Do you just absolutely not care at all about being respectful to me? The more I dig into this topic the more it angers me. I have never once disrespected a waitress that way. In my head, if I were ever to ignore someone completely after asking me how I was doing and NOT ask them in return it would be because I didn't like them at all.

I know it seems like something simple to do whenever you're going out to eat but when your waiter or waitress asks you how you are; just say GREAT! and then ask them how they're doing. Sure, if they're crappy they won't tell you and either way you'll ALWAYS get the same answer, but it's just courteous. Treat other people how you would want to be treated. It's as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment